The Anti-Inflammatory Diet
1. All foods containing gluten. These include; wheat, rye, oats, and barley and are found in bread, pasta, and other products containing flours.
2. All dairy products (milk, cheese, butter, yogurt, etc.) Dairy products are a large source of allergies and can cause an increase in pain.
3. All refined sugar products (sweets, candy bars and junk food). Refined sugar slows the process of detoxification in the body and has been shown to weaken the immune system.
4. Corn, tomatoes, peppers and eggplant. These are common allergens and should be avoided because they can contribute to pain and inflammation.
5. Pork, cold cuts, bacon, hot dogs, canned meat, sausage, and shellfish. All have been shown to increase inflammation.
6. Alcohol, caffeine containing beverages (coffee, black tea and sodas), soy milk, soda and fruit drinks that are high in refined sugar. These are particularly hard on the liver, which has to be functioning properly in order to begin to reduce the inflammation in your body.
7. Foods high in fats and oils, including peanuts, refined oils, margarine, shortening, hydrogenated oils. These foods put a burden on the body especially the gall-bladder and the liver.
The following is a list of foods to include and exclude from the diet for reducing inflammation in the body.
FRUITS – INCLUDE – Unsweetened fresh, frozen, water-packed, unsweetened fruit juices
EXCLUDE – Oranges
VEGETABLES – INCLUDE – All fresh raw, steamed, sauteed, juiced or roasted vegetables.
EXCLUDE – Corn, creamed vegetables
STARCH – INCLUDE – Brown rice, oats, tapioca, quinoa, amaranth, teff, millet, buckwheat and products made from these, potato flour, arrowroot.
EXCLUDE – Wheat, corn, barley, spelt, kamut, rye
LEGUMES – INCLUDE – All beans (except soy) peas, lentils
EXCLUDE – Soybeans, tofu, tempeh, soy milk, other soy products
NUTS & SEEDS – INCLUDE – Almonds, walnuts, sesame, sunflower, pumpkin seeds and nut butters
EXCLUDE – Peanuts, peanut butter, cashews, cashew butter
MEAT, FISH & EGGS – INCLUDE – All fresh fish, chicken, turkey, wild game, lamb (grass fed, organic)
EXCLUDE – Beef, pork, cold cuts, frankfurters, sausage, canned meats, eggs, shellfish
DAIRY PRODUCTS – INCLUDE – Milk substitutes such as rice milk, almond milk, coconut milk, other nut milks.
EXCLUDE – Cream, yogurt, butter, ice cream, frozen yogurt, non-dairy creamer, margarine
FATS – INCLUDE – Cold expressed olive, flax, safflower, sunflower, sesame, walnut & pumpkin oils
EXCLUDE – Shortening, margarine, hydrogenated oils, mayonnaise, spreads, canola oil
BEVERAGES – INCLUDE – Filtered water, herbal tea, seltzer, mineral water
EXCLUDE – Soft drinks, alcohol, coffee, black tea, other caffeine containing beverages
SPICES – INCLUDE – All spices unless excluded
EXCLUDE – Ketchup, mustard, pickle relish, chutney, soy sauce, barbecue sauce
SWEETENERS – INCLUDE – brown rice syrup, fruit sweeteners, stevia, blackstrap molasses
EXCLUDE – White, brown, refined sugars, honey, maple syrup, corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, all artificial sweeteners, all candy